Thursday 14 January 2016

My Edit - The Editing Process

I first did the horror edit. To create meaning in this edit, I:
  • I chose a piece of music called 'measured paces' by Kevin MacLeod. This music matches with my intentions for the meaning as it is simplistic yet sinister, the simple piano chords adding to the footage instead of distracting from it.
  • I edited my clips to the music, making the edit on a beat. I did this to make the music and the footage flow better as one, and seem less jarring. 
  • I chose to include shots which seemed more enclosed and less open, to create a sense of claustrophobia, and give the idea that there is no escape.
  • As the clip goes on, I make the shots shorter, speeding up the cuts. This was to disorientate the audience, and the footage moves from one place to the next, adding confusion and making the audience unsure of their surroundings in this first person view of the graveyard.
  • I chose the faster moving shots where I am walking at a faster pace, which I intended to make it look like I was being chased, increasing the sense of threat when I get to the mysterious and closed off mausoleum at the end of the scene.
  • I included the shots of my shoes to introduce a character to the audience, and as it is a a character in this situation, this builds tension as the audience sympathises and fears for the character.
  • I also used filters to change the colour temperature to make them more cold, and also changed the brightness to make the shots darker. This is because I filmed in the day, and the shots were bright and full of warmer colours, which doesn't create fear. The colder colours make the audience more wary and feel less comfortable, changing the brightness to make the shots darker makes the setting more sinister, as it is dark and creates a greater fear in the audience of the unknown.
Editing the sinister and creepy scene
My second edit was more of the landscape, and I intended for it to be sad, atmospheric and have a feeling of melancholy.

  • When editing, I made cuts longer, and chose shots with less movement.
  • The music I used was "Pepper's Theme", also by Kevin MacLeod. This piano music is a lot slower and sadder, and like the last edit I cut on the piano notes to make the cuts less jarring and flow with the music.
  • I used shots of more open space to make the focus on the large landscapes, and decrease any claustrophobia to make the edit more relaxing to watch.
  • I didn't include any shots of me or my feet walking as in the previous edit to make the focus of the scene the surroundings and eliminate any tension created by the presence of a character.
  • Whilst I still had shots from the graveyard, I edited them to use the parts of the shot that focused more on the forest surroundings than the graves themselves.
  • I didn't use any effects or filters, as I filmed the footage around sunset, making the lighting warm and the sky full of colour, adding to my film as it makes the settings more beautiful and relaxing to watch, building the atmosphere.
  • I also used more cuts of streets and busy places to reduce the feeling of solitude, making the film more melancholy as the camera is alone in these busy places rather than a character in an isolating place.
  • I also edited a journey of going into the cemetery and then leaving it, reducing tension as the camera leaves a place that could possibly be threatening to go back to society at the end, making the audience less tense about what could happen next.
  • Editing the melancholy scene which focused on landscape and setting
     

No comments:

Post a Comment