Tuesday 12 January 2016

Leadership - Evaluation and Reflection

After finishing our short film and getting the chance to see it on the big screen last Saturday, I can say that overall I am very happy about our finished product.
I think everyone in our group worked together when making the film, and on the day of the shoot we were very efficient and worked well as a team. We all helped each other in making the film as good as it could be, everyone making suggestions on how to film at some point in the day, and all of us working together to manage our actors.

On the day of the edit, I as the editor had a stressful day but a rewarding one. I was helped by the producer of the film in the process, who had talked to the rest of our crew so I could create an edit we were all happy with. When showing the finished film to our group, their positive reactions to the editing was encouraging, and I'm glad that I could put together our footage into a film we were all happy with.

Over making the film I have definitely developed and improved as an editor, as not only have I physically edited a film, but during the shoot I did jobs I didn't know an editor would have, such as making a log of each shot. I also improved my leadership skills through my eagerness to get all of the footage we would need for the edit to be successful, as I knew that we couldn't fix everything in the edit.

Feedback from my group:

"Isy really helped in the planning and organisation prior to the shoot, ensuring we had everything we needed. This thoroughness helped when it came to editing." - Amelia, the producer.

"Isy was always really organised, and knew what to do in the edit, as I'm really pleased with how the script looked on the screen." - Kirstie, who wrote the screenplay

"To say she wasn't an experienced editor, I think the edit for our film is what we all wanted it to be, so I was impressed." - Andy, the director

Overall, I am very happy in the way I have developed as an editor, and I'm also pleased with how we worked as a team to overcome challenges during the shoot and the edit.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Isy

    I have just looked through your blog and it all looks brilliant. However, there are a couple of things that you need to add before completion.

    Firstly, make sure that you write your post on The Showroom / DocFest and their opportunities. This will come under Unit 1, D.

    You also need to gather a few comments from others in your group about how well you performed your leadership role. This could be through sending your blog link to others and asking them to comment, or asking them directly and posting it on your blog, e.g. I asked Amelia _ and she said _ etc.

    If you're struggling with anything else it may be useful to refer to Meabh's email earlier in the week where she broke down each individual section.

    Really well done Isy - you're almost finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isy, this blog is excellent and thanks for taking on Rosie's comments about the Unit 1D. The only thing that appears to be missing is some comments from your group about your leadership role on the film. You are 99% there, so if you can just gather a few comments, that would be great. Well done - Meabh

    ReplyDelete